httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Microsoft marketing hype
Date Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:56:44 GMT
Thought some of you might find this interesting.

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/news/msnw/LinuxMyths.asp

The Linux community claims to have improved performance and
scalability in the latest versions of the Linux Kernel (2.2), however
it's clear that Linux remains inferior to the Windows NT® 4.0
operating system.

For Web servers, the same PC Week tests
(http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,1015266,00.html)
  showed Windows NT 4.0 with Internet Information Server 4.0 delivers
1 percent better performance on a single processor system and 125
percent better performance on a 4-way system than Linux and Apache.

For e-commerce workloads using secure sockets (SSL), recent PC
Magazine tests
(http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/stories/reviews/0,6755,402311-2,00.html)
showed Windows NT 4.0 with Internet Information Server 4.0 delivers
approximately five times the performance provided by Linux and
Stronghold.

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu