httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache license and GZIP
Date Fri, 15 Oct 1999 05:10:09 GMT
TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:

> Obviously IBM did their homework on this with regards to
> customer billable man hours being spent reassebmling and updating
> tons of UNIX things since I believe the price tag on the CD is upwards
> of $27,000 with support included. If their customers see that as
> a reasonable price tag for the 'all in one' package then that tells
> you how many man hours the sites have been spending doing
> the 'some (lot) of assembly required' thing.

When you but a 27000$ CD of apache from US (sorry, but right now I work
for IBM, and I'm proud of it) you dont get a nice piece of plastic full
of holes that can be read by a laser beam.
You actually hire 250 thousand people that, if YOUR server goes down,
are ready to place it back on line in no time, 24 hours a day, 365 days
a year, even if YOUR server is located in the middle of Burkina Faso's
desert.
And since on YOUR server you sell millions of dollars a day, probably
the expense is rewarding (don't most of us pay insurances in case our
houses are burned or destroyed by a heartquake).

	Pier
--
Pierpaolo Fumagalli - IBM Center for Java Technologies
<mailto:pifum18@us.ibm.com>   <mailto:pier@apache.org>