httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:54:48 GMT
TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:

> I don't know how much you know about proxy servers but can
> you tell me in what near or distant universe a URL that looks
> like this...
>
> /http://www.yahoo.com
>
> Would NOT be obviously meant as a base level URL request
> for a proxy server?

In just about any universe at all.  The portion following the
net_loc is opaque.  Change that to "http://foo/http://www.bar"
and then it's a full URL *possibly* intended for a proxy.
Change it to "GET http://www.bar HTTP/1.0" and *then* you have
a proxy request (assuming the recipient is a proxy server;
if it isn't, it can play games with how it interprets the
request).

> Just in case you haven't used UNIX lately this is what happens
> if you try to actually have a directory called http://www.yahoo.com...
>
> # mkdir http://www.yahoo.com
> mkdir: cannot make directory `http://www.yahoo.com': No such file
> or directory

Um.. mkdir typically requires that all parents in the path
already exist.  I haven't tried it, but

# mkdir http:
# mkdir http:/www.yahoo.com

would probably be more successful.  Of course, Unix might not like
it or let you use it (YMMV) since ':' is often used to delimit
the hostname portion of a net-targeted filesystem location.
--
#ken    P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://ASFD.MeepZor.Com/>