httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:43:40 GMT
Peter J. Cranstone wrote:

> As for your "whatever" comment. Let's see, with compression turned on, the
> server is faster, bandwidth is saved, the consumers experience is improved
> and the web server transmission cycles are reduced.

It's a zero-sum game once a limiting factor has been reached.
How is the server faster if it's devoting cycles to compressing
data?  Only if it had the cycles to spare (which it probably,
but far from certainly, did).  And the 'faster' aspect is
illusory even then, being measured as response time.  Which
is, of course, one of the best measures -- it's perception,
which is all-important.

Yes, bandwidth consumption would almost certainly be
reduced, as would the server transmission cycles (I'm
not sure exactly what you mean by that, but I'm
assuming you mean the amount of wall-clock time the
server experiences processing the sending of the response
from the first byte to the last.)

The consumer's experience is improved *only* if the
response time is improved.  That happens only as a
result of other things; it won't be any better if the
wall-clock time spent compressing exceeds the wall-clock
time it would have taken to transmit the uncompressed
data.  Which is situational; you're exchanging I/O
duration for CPU duration.  That's *usually* a more-than-fair
exchange, but not always.

> As for our views on compression. I respect your opinion and in the mean time
> I suggest that you post your own views on how you would do compression (if
> you are able to do so) or better still maybe you can tell us why it is an
> unimportant feature for Apache.

I don't think we regard it as unimportant -- it's just
that it hasn't yet lit enough of a fire in anyone's belly
to do something about it.
--
#ken    P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://ASFD.MeepZor.Com/>