httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey W. Baker" <...@cp.net>
Subject Re: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 05:21:06 GMT
"Peter J. Cranstone" wrote:
[...]
> As for your "whatever" comment. Let's see, with compression turned on, the
> server is faster, bandwidth is saved, the consumers experience is improved
> and the web server transmission cycles are reduced. Please respond as to why
> this is not a desired feature for any web server.
[...]

In what way is 0.56 requests per second on static content faster than
anything?  Even with only one client, I would expect to see at least 10
requests per second before your system even passed my laugh test.

The assertion about saving modem users' bandwith is ludicrous.  Even old
modems have hardware compression algorithms that compress HTML and other
repetitive text very well.  With good hardware (~$50) 2:1 text
compression is unremarkable.

Honestly I was completely unable to glean the slightest bit of a point
from this spew.

-jwb