httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: XML configuration revisited
Date Tue, 12 Oct 1999 21:22:58 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry, but I think these two are contraddicting... How can you have a
> > > DTD if you don't know the elements that are in your XML file? Either you
> > > generate a DTD depending on your Apache configuration (so for whatever
> > > module gets compiled in or loaded as DSO) or you cannot properly
> > > "validate" (in the strict term of validation against a DTD) the source.
> >
> > Exactly. This is the point I'm making (which is why I keep calling it an
> > XDTD).
> >
> Ah... Ok... Understood. So, you're not validating unsing a standard DTD,
> but using a custom validator you designed using a custom document
> declaration file that you called XDTD...
> So your XML is not "VALID". (Let's use the strictness of the terms as
> they are defined in the XML spec, otherwise we'll all get confused!)

"XDTD" is a placeholder for some, hopefully standardised, method of
defining the XML's structure that _also_ deals with the idea that Apache
has plug-in modules. I'm simply trying to figure out what the required
properties of this hypothetical validator are. What I am certainly not
proposing is a custom validator.

Some have suggested that XSchema will fulfill the requirements. I
haven't looked yet, but I will.

Cheers,

Ben.

--