httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Todd <james.t...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: XML configuration revisited
Date Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:25:37 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> It has been discussed on the Tomcat mailing list, but so far without
> much in the way of conclusions.

some conclusions have been formed ... they may not
necessarily be universally embraced though. i personally
have been hell'a busy for the last 2 months getting
servlet 2.2 and j2ee in harmony and thusly have not
been able to put time back into the config discussion.

the issues is still very alive in my mind and my
perspectives have not altered significantly. the
discussions to date seemed to only go so far without
code in hand ... which to be quite honet still
baffles me ... but none the less i believe raising
the bar on component/subsystem configuration is of
importance.

> The major issue I see is that Apache's configuration is extensible, but
> DTDs are not (at least, as far as I understand them). So, some kind of
> XDTD (to coin an acronym) is needed. I believe such things do exist, but
> I don't know much about them. However, the fact that they are plural
> worries me :-)

i'd start bottom up and grow this organically. further
i propose considering the configuration approach used
by tomcat as a starting point as 1) it is simple and
2) it is based on xml and java and as such should be
impervious of many platform specific concerns.

now, by saying it is simple i am not implying that
it will solve world hunger ... quite the opposite.
if we can get subsystem (eg tomcat servlet container)
configurations to become real and portable then
hosting system configuration concerns becomes at
some level just a matter of interacting and instrumenting
the various subsystems configuration api.

- james