httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <>
Subject ANNOUNCE: GNU Portable Threads (Pth) 1.2.0 released
Date Sun, 31 Oct 1999 15:34:08 GMT
   ____  _   _
  |  _ \| |_| |__
  | |_) | __| '_ \                    ``Only those who attempt
  |  __/| |_| | | |                     the absurd can achieve
  |_|    \__|_| |_|                     the impossible.''

  GNU Pth - The GNU Portable Threads
  Version 1.2 now available!

  After an eight version long Beta period GNU Pth 1.2.0 is now finally
  available as a release version and 1.2 is now considered as the new
  stable series.

  Pth is a very portable POSIX/ANSI-C based library for Unix platforms
  which provides non-preemptive priority-based scheduling for multiple
  threads of execution (aka `multithreading') inside event-driven
  applications. All threads run in the same address space of the server
  application, but each thread has its own individual program-counter,
  run-time stack, signal mask and errno variable.

  The thread scheduling itself is done in a cooperative way, i.e., the
  threads are managed by a priority- and event-based non-preemptive
  scheduler. The intention is, that this way one can achieve better
  portability and run-time performance than with preemptive scheduling.
  The event facility allows threads to wait until various types of
  events occur, including pending I/O on filedescriptors, asynchronous
  signals, elapsed timers, pending I/O on message ports, thread and
  process termination, and even customized callback functions.

  Additionally Pth provides an optional emulation API for POSIX.1c
  threads (`Pthreads') which can be used for backward compatibility to
  existing multithreaded applications.

  Pth was successfully tested on FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, BSDI,
  GNU/Linux, Solaris, HPUX, Tru63 (OSF/1), AIX, IRIX, UnixWare, SINIX,
  ReliantUNIX, ISC, AmigaOS, Rhapsody and AUX. And it should should
  automatically adjust itself to remaining Unix platforms, too.

  More about GNU Pth you can find under the following locations:

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall

  PS: You can use GNU Pth as a drop-in replacement for a missing vendor
      Pthread library to run Apache 2.0 (with one of the threading MPMs like
      dexter) and this way get a multithreaded Apache 2.0 running on usually
      all Unix platforms - ranging from mostly all ancient Unix flavors to
      really all the modern ones.

View raw message