httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support ab.c
Date Sun, 31 Oct 1999 13:26:56 GMT

In article <199910302243.aa14827@gremlin-relay.ics.uci.edu> you wrote:

>>>Maybe we should add a "-V" switch to print out ab's $Date$ or
>>>$Revision$ info -- currently, version numbers are only incremented
>>>ad hoc (and very seldom). Each change should be visible somehow
>>>_after_ the program was compiled.
>>
>>IMO the $Id$ or $Header$ strings of every file should be embedded in
>>the binary; whether they are available by a command line option or by
>>running ident is less important.
>
> I always avoid doing that because it makes merging repositories and
> patches a total pain in the ass.  The CVS revision information is less
> useful than doing diffs against known release versions/tags.

Exactly, +1 on not including these into the files in general.  FYI, FreeBSD
recently kicked out $Id$ expansion and now use a $FreeBSD$ because they always
got conflicts and confusion on vendor imports and similar situations. So, $xx$
can be useful, yes. But only if done _VERY_ carefully and by knowing exactly
what should be achieved.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com