httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Costello <ch...@calldei.com>
Subject Re: APR all in one lib?
Date Sun, 31 Oct 1999 20:17:15 GMT
On Sat, Oct 23, 1999, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> In what way does it make it significantly more manageable?  Just by having
> to link in one library vs. a couple?
>
> Here's why I ask - if one design goal of APR is to build a body of
> portable code that could be used in other projects, it may be useful to be
> able to partition functionality for situations where you need one type but
> not another.  IIRC, that was one reason people elected not to use NSPR.
>
> Though it's hard for me to come up with a credible example for a server
> that would need abstracted network but not abstracted filesystem I/O, I
> suppose.  =)

   Thinking about it, it shouldn't be _extremely_ difficult to
have an option to build one library or several libraries.  If I
have some spare time around (which I usually do), I might see
about playing with the Makefile(s) to do that, if anyone's really
interested in keeping multiple libraries around.

--