httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Should buff return error codes on partial success?
Date Sun, 24 Oct 1999 08:03:07 GMT
On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 07:56:30AM -0400, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> Personally, I would have BUFF return a status code.  There is a whole
> section of APR code for status values.  This way, it doesn't imply an
> error, just information we should know.

Then, we'd have to create a status code for every single IO error
code.  Or do some bitmapping like Ken was talking about to indicate
severity (which would break the matchup with Unix's errno).

The number of bytes read already sort of performs that function, so I
don't think that non-error status codes are strictly necessary. Though
I have yet to completely think through indicating EOF (done right now
by returning APR_SUCCESS and a 0 bytes_read).