httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: MMAP support for APR
Date Fri, 15 Oct 1999 20:57:32 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> > David Reid wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Below is a very early overview of what I'm proposing we do to add mmap to
> > > APR.  This is the very basics and I'm open to suggestions.
> > >
> > > MMAP for APR
> > >
> > > The aim is to build as open an API as possible to allow us to do all the
> > > things that 1.3
> > > does with MMAP files but for every platform.
> >
> > What about platforms that lack mmap? Or sould prefer using
> > shmget instead?
>
> david is talking about mapped files -- shmget doesn't let you map files...
> i think you're confusing it with sharing memory between processes.

That's my point. Since mmap() isn't available for all platforms,
we can't "force" any implementation that requires it. Or maybe
I'm misunderstanding this issue... Is it just something that's
used if available (as a performance boost)? Doesn't sound like
that was David's intent.

                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"