httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: MMAP support for APR
Date Sat, 16 Oct 1999 01:09:55 GMT
On Sat, Oct 16, 1999 at 01:20:20AM +0100, David Reid wrote:
> The intent was to have any/all platform's able to have
> mmap-type-functionailty.
>
> Exactly how this is accomplished and whether this is used would depend on
> the platform.

The only way to pull off even an approximation of this that I can
think of would be accessor functions/macros that use mmap on most
systems and use fseek and its ilk on the other systems. Something
like:

apr_mmap_write(mmap_ADT, offset, length, char *);
apr_mmap_read(mmap_ADT, offset, length, char **);

In other words, something that looks more like random-access I/O
functions.

In Apache's case, I think this could work well if the mmap-wrapper
kept track of the current file position to avoid extra seeks.

"Other people have dreams and I just laugh at them."
  -- Linus Torvalds, Linux Expo '98