httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Piotr Klaban <mak...@man.torun.pl>
Subject Re: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:56:19 GMT
On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 07:14:56AM -0400, Bill Jones wrote:
> Until clients get 'universally' faster - not just those special cases
> where some people have to have 600MHz with cable modems at home -
> I will always decide against using 'real-time' compression in my
> business environment. (I haven't seen any benefit with file sizes
> larger than 5MB and compressing a bunch of smaller files on the
> fly really does not work out too well - not on an Ultra 1 anyways -
> maybe when I get my E10k then we can look at it again then
> (w/4 400MHz UltraSparcs who couldn't do it in real time? :)

I also agree that real-time compression on the server side
is a misunderstanding. Compression slows down CPU, and response time...

But... I suggest, that if someone wants to have comperssed
files transfered over the web - then compress files first
and the uncompress on the fly - uncompressing (especially with lzop
is much faster that compressing, isn't it?

Piotr Klaban