httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: WebConfig initiative
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:12:18 GMT
On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 05:08:56PM +0200, Henrik Vendelbo wrote:
> Is there any initiative to make a pluggable C module for Web access
> to the Server configuration ?

Lots of GUIs, including Comanche and a web-based tool or two, are
listed at <http://gui.apache.org/>. I don't really know whether there
are any portable, web-based, freely-available packages yet, but I
could've sworn I had heard of some.

> my motivation :
> I believe that telnet transmits passwords in clear text.

In most cases, yeah. There is ssh, though (and soon lsh).

> Non-technical users are often reluctant to use shell interfaces.
> It is really only af few things that telnet is needed for.
>
> If there are none I intend to start one

It would be nice if this could be integrated into an existing project,
rather than starting a whole new one. But, this would be very cool to
have. Configuration is likely to undergo a huge change soon (I'm
guessing in the 2.0->2.1 timeframe) so you should be ready to rewrite
some code if necessary.