httpd-dev mailing list archives

From j...@websitefactory.net (Jeff Johnson)
Subject Re: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:07:03 GMT
On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 11:34:38PM -0600, Peter J. Cranstone wrote:
> Anyway, as you can see we actually more than DOUBLE the number of
> transactions per second using compression. 21 transactions per second jumped
> to 56 or a 166% improvement. "The assertion about saving modem users
> bandwidth is ludicrous". What is ludicrous is that statement. I'm going to
> let you do the math. It's very simple.

Not to intrude on this conversation, however, I see two points here:

a) gzip compression of pages, if supported seamlessly by clients is
   both something that should be supported by HTTP and by Apache,
   because it is a Good Idea (tm).

b) However, is the server actually free the handle more requests?
   I would believe that the compression of gzip uses much more
   CPU time than the compression that is built into the hardware
   of your modem.  Doesn't the modem try to compress the data again
   as well?  Because of this, you'll always get a 'higher' throughput
   rating when transferring, say, a text file when compared to a .ZIP file.

   We all learned this in our BBS days.  While the data may get to the client
   "166% faster", with the extra CPU overhead, I seriously doubt that you
   would be able to process 166% more ACTUAL REQUESTS by enabling gzip
   compression.

Am I a total moron here?

--
Jeffrey H. Johnson, jeff@websitefactory.net