httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src Configure
Date Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:51:01 GMT

In article <3800E6B6.50E54AC1@algroup.co.uk> you wrote:
> Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
>>
>> > Ah. This really ought to be triggered by the existence of autoconf, or
>> > it doesn't actually help much (after the first time), does it?
>>
>> In my sleepy haze (I work on Hawaiian time on weekends), I can't quite
>> parse this. Are you saying that we should be checking for the
>> existence of autoconf first so that error messages are sane?
>>
>> I agree. I'm not sure whether it's worth the effort to fix up
>> Configure too much if we're placing the whole ball with autoconf. I'm
>> probably going to make autoconf my next project, so hopefully this
>> isn't too far away.
>
> No, what I mean is that if you have autoconf, you should _always_ run
> it, not just when there's no configure. I've fixed it anyway.

Sorry to complain here, but always running autoconf if it exists is not clean
and falls at least into the area where no distribution files should be
modified (or if, then a "make distclean" has to be able to restore it). If you
run autoconf all the time this is no longer the case. Sure, it will usually
not harm, of course.  But it both slow downs the configure step and is unclean
practice.  At least I could also accept this approach if "configure" provides
a --enable-maintainer option. Then it's ok to run those tools. Just my
$0.02...
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com