httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/time/unix access.c
Date Sat, 02 Oct 1999 08:55:53 GMT

In article <37F51166.9C3FB5B1@algroup.co.uk> you wrote:
> rse@hyperreal.org wrote:
>>
>> rse         99/10/01 09:18:41
>>
>>   Modified:    src/lib/apr/file_io/unix dir.c fileacc.c
>>                src/lib/apr/include apr_general.h
>>                src/lib/apr/lib apr_cpystrn.c apr_md5.c apr_pools.c
>>                         apr_slack.c
>>                src/lib/apr/locks/unix crossproc.c
>>                src/lib/apr/network_io/unix networkio.h poll.c sockets.c
>>                         sockopt.c
>>                src/lib/apr/threadproc/unix proc.c signals.c
>>                src/lib/apr/time/unix access.c
>>   Log:
>>   Ok, today it bored me too much that APR shouts many pages with warnings under
>>   --with-option=devel (which has maximum -W's enabled which are still practical
>>   for Apache), so I investiged an hour and did a quick cleanup of the APR
>>   sources.
>>
>>   Please guys, if you're using gcc, please _always_ at least use -Wall for
>>   compiling Apache. You will be surprised how much mistakes it catches easily. I
>>   don't want to say you have to use the maximum -W approach I personally prefer,
>>   but Apache's sources should always at least pass -Wall silently, I think.
>>   Thanks.
>
> Arg. Fixing it with millions of evil casts is not better than the
> warnings were! Also, why the pointless variable name changes (which seem
> to be the bulk of this patch)?

Ah, there it is - I expected your complain, Ben.

1. I looked carefully at the type-mismatch problem, doubt me. But the only
   non-cast solution IMHO would be to change parts of the API and the change
   would here leaded to a "password" to be "unsigned char *", so I decided
   that it's better to not do this and keep the "eval casts" you like so much.

2. The renaming of the variables is necessary because variables
   like time conflict with the system time(3) prototype, etc.  Same for things
   like stat which conflict with stat(2).

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com