httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Henrik Vendelbo" <hvende...@bluprints.com>
Subject Apache and the opposition (Was: Apache 164..)
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:15:31 GMT
> We've figured out how to improve the performance of your (the Apache group)
> Apache web server. We use your own ab benchmarks to prove out point. We
> detail the equipment we used to complete the test. We follow all applicable
> RFC's and are totally 100% HTTP 1.x compliant.

No bull, I like that.

> Bottom line. Apache runs much faster and is more efficient with compression
> technology. If you don't care about this say so. But everyday I see a new
> statistic which talks about dwindling market share, about how Zeus and Boa
> out perform Apache and how MS is making inroads. I would have thought people
> would welcome a simple solution which provides an speed improvement to an
> Apache server.

I don't really think that the reason is performance. Since I have only joined the web community
recently
may I offer some points from the sideline.
- The Commercial server vendor has a sales department, Apache doesn't. I'm sure that M$ and
others are pounding on the doors on every major potential customer. With the whole marketing
campaign against you, it will often be hard for the technical department to convince management
that Apache is the best choice. Don't forget that most people can't tell the difference between
good and bad software, so they go for what sounds good.

- The Apache package itself is just an engine. If you are not knowledgable in web technology
it is hard to get started. I mean look at the Win32 SDK; They have tons of examples, how to's,
and thousands of documentation pages.

- Say you want to install the Apache Server with comparable to IIS. Then you need to download
and install three different packages. Install three layers of software, with three different
installation tools. Then you must get into the flow of 5-10 config files. On the other side
IIS is already installed on NT, so you just get a nice fat book on IIS and start reading.

This is why I would like to make a really slick configuration tool for Apache.

> We've now set the benchmark for real time on the fly compression, your
> welcome to ignore it... but it has been set.

I'm glad somebody did it, keep it up.

\Henrik

P.S. Don't start complaining that people are stupid, we all do the same thing; If we don't
have the knowledge to tell the difference, we do what our eyes and ears tell us. This is why
FUD is so effective.