httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Cholet <cho...@logilune.com>
Subject RE: Subject: RE: Using conn->client->fd
Date Mon, 04 Oct 1999 16:03:23 GMT
On Monday, October 04, 1999 10:54 AM, Kraaij, Reinder
 [SMTP:R.Kraaij@exchvs01.pbc.be.philips.com] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my Chat module  i solved it this way :
>
> I created a verry little frame, at the bottem of the screen. This
Refreshes
> each minute, and handels the Online ID over to the Server.
>
> There i have a shared memory base, in which each online id is related to
> several things, one of them is last refresh time.
>
> When there has not been a refresh for 3 minutes, the online id is
released.

> Or they press the logout button, which kills the online id.
>
> The plusses of this are various :
>
> - You can return the number of online users back to the user, each minute
> - You can even track users behind a proxy

Hi,

I have no problem tracking the number of connected users, whether behind
proxy or not. By selecting on the client socket I actually notice
disconnects immediately, rather than after some timeout. I also have no
need for refresh, less trafic on the web server.

What I came for here is to have the AG's opinion on using conn->client->fd.
I understand most people would just write to that fd, and Apache's existing
API fits the bill. I don't want to use a hack such as what you describe to
detect client disconnect when select() does the job so much better.

> to see what i mean : http://www.pauzeweb.nl/chatbox.
> ps, be aware that it's 100% pure dutch :o)
>

> REgards,
>     Reinder,

Thanks
--