httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <...@newsedge.com>
Subject RE: C Compiler for NT
Date Thu, 14 Oct 1999 19:42:18 GMT

Note that Visual Studio includes VC++ as well as several other "compilers" and
development tools, including J++ (Java IDE), Visual Basic, Visual InterDev ("web
development
tool"). Mostly, these share the same IDE and add capabilities.

> In case a cheap option (let's say #1) is enough, is there anything
> I may miss by choosing it?  A debugger (Nice to Have, but not
> critical)?  Support for creation of DLLs?  "nmake" availability?

The debugger comes with the compiler/IDE. I'm not sure of the difference between the
Standard and the Pro versions, although I'm sure its buried somewhere at Microsoft's
web site. Last I checked, the Enterprise versions added Visual SourceSafe integration
and
SQL Server stuff. Perhaps the Pro version merely adds the VSS integration?

I believe all the options allow for DLL development.

> In some docs Visual 5.0 is mentioned. Is 6.0 good too?  (good for
> building Apache, of course; I know that both versions are bad ;-)

I believe that the ordinals in the MFC libraries changed between 5.0 and 6.0 and thus
if you make ANY DLL with 6.0, you have to make EVERYTHING with 6.0. This is what
I'm told about a project I'm involved with at work and thus we cannot upgrade to 6.0

In any case you should get the Service Packs for whatever version you do get. Gotta
keep
up with those bug fixes. :-(

> Thanks in advance and sorry again,
> --
> Eli Marmor
> marmor@elmar.co.il

DDA

--
David D'Antonio CNE - dda@NewsEdge.com
 Lawnchairs are everywhere, they're everywhere