httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Re: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 02:52:46 GMT

>  Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
>  > Would NOT be obviously meant as a base level URL request
>  > for a proxy server?
>
>  Get off your high horse, ever used URL's or URL fragments as path_info?

Ah... Not off of ROOT and certainly never in the way under discussion as in...
http://www.yahoo.com/but.I.am.not.really.a.url.I.am.a.directory

>  > Just in case you haven't used UNIX lately this is what happens
>  > if you try to actually have a directory called http://www.yahoo.com...
>  >
>  > # mkdir http://www.yahoo.com
>  > mkdir: cannot make directory `http://www.yahoo.com': No such file or
> directory
>
>  <eyes rolling>
>
>  Er, duh, you need a -p option to mkdir or a directory 'http:' to exist
>  already.

No... I personally do not need the quote marks or the apostrophes
or the accent graves or anything else it takes to FORCE the
creation of a UNIX directory ( off of ROOT, no less ) that looks like..

http://www.yahoo.com/but.i.am.not.a.url.I.am.really.a.filename

because I would NEVER even consider doing that.
Do you know anyone who would?

Even the best proxy servers in the world that store URL's using
as much of the 'name' as possible would never do that and
certainly NEVER off a 'ROOT' directory.

Get real.

 >  > It would be nice if a program that calls itself a Server Benchmark test
>  > could actually bench mark things that call themselves Servers though,
>  > don't you think?
>
>  If you just want something to rag about, do it offline.  On-the-fly
>  compression sounds nice but what you win on the wire you lose on the CPU
>  both for compression and for detecting if the client is capable.  If the
>  latter isn't a worry, precompress everything (a content management
>  problem, not a server problem) and use multiviews.  Yawn.

So... the efficient delivery of data and the highest transaction
rate possible is NOT something a program that calls itself a communications
server needs to worry about? That's a real news flash. Why
don't you post that one at NLANR and CERN and IBM and ATT, etc, etc.
They would love to hear about this new ''Not my YOB' approach to
communications programming.

With regards to your inane comment
'what you win on the wire you lose on the CPU'....

Prove it.

We have proven that the assumptions you are making are WRONG.
Put YOUR statistics where your email is.

Kevin Kiley
CTO, Remote Communications.com
http://www.RemoteCommunications.com
RCTPDS real-time onlne compression server
http://www.rctp.com