httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Re: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:49:42 GMT

> I also agree that real-time compression on the server side
>  is a misunderstanding. Compression slows down CPU, and response time...

Prove it.

If the TCP/IP subsytem has 80 percent less work to do...
you don't see that as 'gaining'  an appreciable amount of CPU time?

If the argument is simply 'who is a bigger drain on the CPU... a
compressor or the TCP/IP susbsytem...'

Then it's time the rubber met the road and some proof gets out.

Our tests show that simply 'assuming' that properly written
compression algorithms are no match for simply sending
thousands of needless bytes is an absolute fallacy.

Kevin Kiley
CTO, Remote Communications, Inc.
http://www.RemoteCommuncations.com
RCTPDS real-time online document compression server.
http://www.rctp.com