httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: Apache license and GZIP
Date Fri, 15 Oct 1999 02:13:27 GMT

>  People will pay a lot of money to get a name like IBM's behind
>  the thing they're buying.  Quite possibly they're buying the
>  brand as well as the product.

Mindshare is a powerful thing. It can get you a large percentage
of a market with very little real effort. Nothing personal intended.

I worked for IBM for many years.
>  IBM has a range of Apache-based offerings.  The low end is
>  the IBM HTTP Server, which is freely downloadable, and is
>  essentially basic Apache plus a couple of items like SSL and
>  a GUI management interface.

Speaking of which... I keep hearing the jibe about how much IBM
is 'helping' Apache. If they actually have a management interface
that good... why don't THEY upload some patches? I am sure
your users could use what THEY have a lot sooner than anyone
will accept what WE have at RCI.

Is the AS/400 port and some occasional fixes from Bill
Stoddard for a Win32 version that no one really cares
about anyway all that ASF really got out of this 'Blue Hat' deal?
Or was there some cash infusion as well? I would hope so.

>  At the high end, there's the WebSphere Application Server,
>  Enterprise Edition, which includes
>  things like servlets, EJBs, and what-not.  That latter is the
>  one with the five-figure price tag.

As we used to say when we were finishing OS/2 LAN SERVER
up in Boca and Austin... 'Call it the Enterprise and you can
fire the phasers directly at the wallet'.
>  You can start getting support at the lowest level of purchasable
>  offerings, which is (I think) ~US$800.  And I think that may
>  include support for base Apache, too -- but you have to buy the
>  product; the support contract is not purchasable separately.
>  --
>  #ken    P-)}

Of course... and neither is Apache. IBM Website specifically states
that 'of course Apache is free'... but there is no separate 'pricing'.
Hard to have a separate pricing scheme when you are simply
hoping that the thing that is free will be the 'product draw'.

The folks up in Rochester just don't twiddle their thumbs all day.

We at RCI are actually quite impressed with the deal they
seem to have worked. I had no idea how sweet it was for them.

We are now thinking what they heck... if they can do it then why
can't we. No offense but it would certainly be easier for us to
simply download your source, compile it, pop the bins onto a
CD, bundle our Compression Server(s) onto the CD, erase the
source, and then tell people that the thing called 'Apache' on
that CD is free but the rest of the content of the CD costs
$1,000+ dollars. If it's actually OK to simply do that then
I'm suprised anyone is still getting anything directly from you.

As a matter of fact... since we compress data for ALL HTTPD
compliant servers it might be time for the 'killer CD'. It could
simply have every 'free' Web and Proxy Server known to man
on it in BIN form and then 95% of the CD is labelled 'free'
and the other 5% pays the light bill... just like IBM has done.

Is this a great country or what?

Kevin Kiley
CTO, Remote
RCTPDS real-time online document compression server.

View raw message