httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Re: Compression..
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:44:11 GMT

>   Not all of us sit at the end of modems.

90 plus percent of users on the Internet nowadays DO
sit at the end of modems. 'The needs of the many outweigh
the needs of the few... or the one'.

No one said this is an 'easy' issue... or one that will ever
be easily resolved... but fear of complexity is probably
what kept it out of the original design in the first place.

Some of us are not afraid of the issue(s) and ARE
willing to start addressing them.

The lack of foresight present in the original base design with
regards to potential for content bloat and no inherent means
to effectively reduce it is not a fatal production flaw...
it CAN be fixed... even at this late date.

HTML, XML, WML, DHTML, XHTML, *whatever*ML continue
to be the most verbose and redundant markup scripts ever
devised by man and if the 'safetys are off' with regards
to the higher level presentation languages being allowed
to just get more verbose and more redundant then the
only place to address the problem is where the rubber
meets the road.

>  An outsider dares to comment on the recent childish outbreak.

I think it's been a pretty fair exchange of opinion so far. If you
see it as 'childish' then I don't think you've been on too many
development forums lately. Email can be a confusing and banal
way to exchange information but do not confuse brevity for
lack of passion or committment. Email is inherently 'hit and run'.
It's the nature of the medium.

Kevin Kiley
CTO, Remote Communications, Inc.
http://www.RemoteCommunications.com