httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Re: Apache 164 percent speed increase
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:23:26 GMT

> In just about any universe at all.  The portion following the
>  net_loc is opaque.  Change that to "http://foo/http://www.bar"
>  and then it's a full URL *possibly* intended for a proxy.
>  Change it to "GET http://www.bar HTTP/1.0" and *then* you have
>  a proxy request (assuming the recipient is a proxy server;
>  if it isn't, it can play games with how it interprets the
>  request).

Then if that is the proper proxy request it should go
forward. Some proxies DO use the 'double up http:'.
The point is that even if that is a valid proxy URL your
ApacheBench won't get it right because it keeps the
forward slash on the front regardless.

How about a very specifc 'catch all' switch like
--do_not_keep_forward_slash_on_url_if_it_starts_with_http_because_it_is
_probably_a_base_level_url_meant_for_a_proxy_server

Or maybe just --drop_first_slash?

I guess you gotta wonder why the command input feels the
need to key for a forward slash at all. I suppose the absolute
final solution is to fix it so that WHATEVER you type in as the
URL actually makes it into the GET request 'as is' instead of
there being any assumptions made at all by the program about
a slash on the front. What you enter is what you get. Period.
That would do the trick.

Kevin Kiley
CTO Remote Communications, Inc.
http://www.RemoteCommunications.com