httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <>
Subject mod_auth_digest and mod_dav problems
Date Sun, 19 Sep 1999 12:43:56 GMT
I know I reported that DAV, O2K and mod_auth_digest worked ok in the past.
However, either I didn't check it closely enough or recent changes in
either mod_dav or mod_auth_digest have done odd things.

The problem is that for each entry in a directory, when Explorer does a
PROPFIND I get this in my error_log:

Digest: user rasmus: password mismatch: /

The bracket part is just debug I threw in myself.  The error is coming
from here:

    if (strcmp(resp->digest, new_digest(r, resp, conf))) {
        ap_log_rerror(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_NOERRNO|APLOG_ERR, r,
          "Digest: user %s: password mismatch: %s (%s!=%s)", conn->user,
          r->uri,resp->digest, new_digest(r, resp, conf));
        note_digest_auth_failure(r, conf, resp, 0);
        return AUTH_REQUIRED;

which is in the else block of the if (resp->message_qop == NULL) check.
ie. it is not an old-style rfc2069 digest.

Now, the odd part is that the password I am sending is right.  If I send
the wrong one I get 3 of the above error message and Eplorer refuses to
show me any files from the PROPFIND.  When I send the right one, Explorer
shows me my files, but if I have 10 files in the dir I am doing a PROPFIND
on, I will see 11 such messages.  I figure 1 for the dir itself and then 1
for each entry.  I am also unable to write to the directory with DAV
because of this.  If I turn off the auth check I can write fine.

I'll poke around some more and throw gdb at it, but if someone happens to
have run across this and solved it, please let me know.

View raw message