httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building APR.
Date Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:37:42 GMT
> Or in short: If you want to get rid of configure and friends in CVS, then you
> should provide a README.DEV explaining the bootstrap step or even better
> provide a Makefile.boot at the top-level. Or alternatively (what I appreciate)
> keep the generated files in CVS and all are happy. It doesn't harm that they
> are kept in CVS. If you dislike to see them growing in CVS you can even remove
> the configure,v from time to time ;)

Well, it is a bit of a hassle for people actually working on the autoconf
stuff on different platforms and/or have different versions of autoconf
installed.  Even if you don't change anything but simply run autoconf the
generated script is likely to be different from the one in the repository
which means you either keep committing needless changes, or you have to
constantly remove your configure script before doing a cvs commit.  This
gets old really quickly.  I really don't see a reason for keeping any
generated files in CVS.  A simple autoconf/autoheader buildconf script
does the trick.

-Rasmus