httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard Makefile.tmpl
Date Thu, 02 Sep 1999 22:21:42 GMT
> >>   -extra/
> >>   -
> >>   -  This is the directory for third-party modules, such as mod_jserv.
> >>   -
> >
> >Why was this removed? Doesn't it hold anymore?
>
> It doesn't exist in the 2.0 repository.  I think Dean removed it as
> part of the MPM stuff.
>
> I don't think it is a good idea in any case -- third party modules
> should be dropped in their own directory, or at least a directory
> specific to the module package.

None of the major modules out there use this extra/ directory anymore.
For a static build they all create src/modules/<module_name> and things
get built from there, and for an external dynamic build they just use apxs
and don't need to write anything to the Apache source tree.  This extra/
dir dates back to the 1.2.x days and early 1.3 beta releases.

-Rasmus