httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Cox <m...@awe.com>
Subject Multiple Language Welcome Page - Czech translation (fwd)
Date Mon, 13 Sep 1999 07:03:52 GMT
acked.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 22:35:11 -0400
From: Honza Jirousek <honza@ecn.cz>
To: editors@apacheweek.com
Cc: brian@organic.com, honza@ecn.cz
Subject: Multiple Language Welcome Page - Czech translation

Hi,

I've just read the article in ApacheWeek about multilingual welcome page, and
found Czech missing from the list of languages currently available. To correct
this, I attach Czech translation of the page.

couple notes:

1) My Netscape Communicator 4.6 for Linux lists Czech language under code
Czech(cs). I'm not sure what standards rule this, but it's quite likely wrong.
Since the split of Czechoslovakia into two independent countries about 7 years
ago, cz is an ISO code for Czech and sk for Slovak. Top level DNS domain cs
(which caused so much trouble to mail users from computer science departments
in US universities, who used to cut the domain part of local e-mail addreses
short (e.g. abc@cs.berkeley.edu->abc@cs) and were surprised to get messages
bounced by some Czechoslovakian mail servers) and other uses of the code cs
should be deprecated by now. I assume, however, that this is of no
significance to Apache, which handles thye country codes in httpd.conf only.

2) Note that while Slovak language uses the same character set as Czech and
while it's a fairly close to Czech, it is not identical and this translation
will not pass for a Slovak version of the page. Slovak users may likely use
the language negotiation feature, though, and set the order "sk,cz,en" in
their browsers.

3) There are two encoding for non-asci Czech characters. Supposed Internet
standard is iso-8559-2, but most windows browsers use windows-1250 (and thus
many Czech web pages are also created in this character set). Most browsers
(on all platforms) can handle both encodings, but have to be told which one to
use, as no good "default" can be assumed. One way is to configure Apache to
send proper character set in HTTP headers (this has to be set locally based on
website owner's preference), another is to include the character set in a META
tag. I think the latter would work better for default welcome page and so I
did in the page I'm sending.

Honza Jirousek