httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Making APR more portable.
Date Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:01:50 GMT

OKay, after discussing things with a couple of the other people working on
APR, we have come up with ways to make APR more portable, but keep the
code as clean as possible.  I thought I had made this clear on the list,
but it looks like this was all decided in private e-mail (my mistake), so
I am letting everybody know what we decided.  If there are any complaints,
go ahead and voice them now.  I think this is the best of both worlds
though.  :)

1)  The unix directory will be used as a common directory, and will be the
default for new ports.  If the majority of a port is common code with
unix, then use ifdefs and use the unix code.  This should clean out a lot
directories.  For example, the misc directory should be mostly common
code.

2)  If your code cannot be integrated cleanly, it gets it's own directory.
For example, The windows file_io code gets it's own dir.  The unix
directory is POSIX compliant, the windows code uses 0 POSIX code.  This
means we have to re-implement EVERY function for Windows, completely.

This allows cleanly ifdef'ed code to be kept in the same dir.  It also
means we aren't hacking together code that doesn't hang together well.
I know this isn't what everybody wants, but I think it will work the best.
If I am wrong, time will tell, and we can change it.

Thoughts?

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd