httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_asis.c mod_autoindex.c mod_log_config.c mod_negotiation.c
Date Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:31:46 GMT

There are a couple of reasons for ap_{get|put}_os_file.  1) They make the
porting to APR MUCH easier.  I can do things in stages, instead of tieing
up the whole tree for a few weeks.  2)  Some of the big modules will need
them.  Rasmus has already expressed his desire to have these for his first
port to Apache-2.0.  I do not plan to have many, if any, of these calls in
Apache when I am finished porting.

Ryan

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Brian Havard wrote:

> On 8 Sep 1999 14:16:11 -0000, rbb@hyperreal.org wrote:
>
> >rbb         99/09/08 07:16:09
> >
> >  Modified:    src/include ap_config.h ap_listen.h http_log.h
> >                        http_protocol.h httpd.h util_md5.h
> >               src/main http_config.c http_core.c http_log.c
> >                        http_protocol.c listen.c rfc1413.c util.c
> >                        util_md5.c util_script.c
> >               src/modules/mpm/mpmt_pthread acceptlock.c mpmt_pthread.c
> >               src/modules/mpm/prefork Makefile.tmpl prefork.c
> >               src/modules/standard mod_asis.c mod_autoindex.c
> >                        mod_log_config.c mod_negotiation.c
> >  Log:
> >  Remove all of the calls to functions like "ap_popenf".  These functions were
> >  moved down to APR, but they are being removed.  They are not portable, and
> >  were only moved down for backwards compatability.  With this change, they can
> >  be safely removed, which is the next commit on it's way.
> >  Submitted by:  Ryan Bloom and Paul Reder
>
> IMO ap_{get,put}_os_file() should not be allowed in non-platform specific
> code. In fact I think we'd be better off if they didn't exist. If you can't
> do what you need to do without resorting to using the OS handle directly then
> you need to add an APR function to do the job, not hack into the guts of the
> apr_file_t from the application.
>
> --
>  |  Brian Havard                 |  "He is not the messiah!                   |
>  |  brianh@kheldar.apana.org.au  |  He's a very naughty boy!" - Life of Brian |

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd