httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: new CVS module for httpd docs
Date Wed, 08 Sep 1999 13:18:16 GMT

This all sounds good, but how do people get access to the sandbox?  By
submitting patches the usual way, I'm assuming.  Which are reviewed the
usual way, and committed when people get around to it.  It just sounds to
me like we are creating more hurdles to development rather than tearing
some down.  Also, with giving people access to the sandbox but not the
development repository, we create the situation where people are
back-porting somebody else's changes.  I would much rather see the person
who origianally made the change move it from the sandbox to the
development tree.

At least now, when somebody commits another person's patch, it is always a
complete patch, and it is usually easy to apply it.  I am afraid that the
sandbox could REALLY diverge from the development tree, and patches won't
be nearly as easy to back-port.  Of course, this may not be an issue.  I
just don't like the idea of adding a level of complexity to the process of
getting commit access.

Just MHO.

Ryan

> As a place where they can earn 'merit' by showing their
> code is good, they're thoughtful of consequences, they
> play well with others, and their minds are, um, stable. :-)
>
> This is currently done by people submitting patches to the
> list or the bugdb, but I'm personally convinced that this
> path to merit-earning has suffered somewhat since we went
> to CTR and a non-manually-maintained-&-mailed STATUS.
>
> Once they've shown they won't egregiously break the development
> tree by committing ill-considered patches, by 'playing nice'
> in the sandbox, then they can get access to the development
> tree as well.
>
> Does this sound terribly elitist? :-/
> --
> #ken    P-)}