httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject atoms (was Re: [Negotiation] How to get rid of a Content-Encoding: header?)
Date Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:47:13 GMT

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Life is hard, and then you die. wrote:

> No, that header is generated by mod_mime. What happens is that mod_mime
> goes through the extensions and sets the content_type, content_encoding,
> and content_language fields in the request_rec. Because it doesn't set
> the headers directly, you can't unset them with a Header directive.

One of the reasons for having them in the request_rec is because
manipulating them in the headers table is not as fast.  We've talked about
a solution to this before -- using "atoms"... which lets us make the
tables faster by mapping strings such as "Content-Encoding" to integers at
compile-time, so that lookups/etc. are faster at run-time.

This would help many of the headers, but doesn't help the multi-valued
headers... such as "Vary"...

at any rate, yeah it'd be cool if there were fewer special purpose fields
in request_rec, and we used tables for more things...

Dean