httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard Makefile.tmpl
Date Sat, 04 Sep 1999 10:13:19 GMT
On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> > I don't think it is a good idea in any case -- third party modules
> > should be dropped in their own directory, or at least a directory
> > specific to the module package.
>
> None of the major modules out there use this extra/ directory anymore.
> For a static build they all create src/modules/<module_name> and things
> get built from there, and for an external dynamic build they just use apxs
> and don't need to write anything to the Apache source tree.  This extra/
> dir dates back to the 1.2.x days and early 1.3 beta releases.

The extra directory was created for modules that either weren't
heavyweight enough (one file modules, much like the ones we have in
src/modules/standard) to need their own directory, or whose authors didn't
implement the necessary frameworks. No major modules use extra, precisely
because any module major enough to be well-used is probably large enough,
and with the proper development support, to get create and use its own
directory. And if a smaller module is used by a significant amount people,
we often include it with Apache, in the standard directory.

So where does that leave extra? Well, the small custom modules that people
never share, or the ones that are written and a few people here and there
use, but don't obtain wide enough usage to get the development effort
needed to provide a directory, configure script, etc... And, of course,
these are precisely the kind of modules that we, as the developers of
Apache, aren't going to be hearing about, so as far as we know, extra
isn't being used. But it very well may be.

It's just a directory and a file (and a small file at that). I would vote
to leave it in; it serves a purpose, and I don't see that 2.0 as it
currently stands in any way diminishes that purpose.

--
Alexei Kosut <akosut@cs.stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>
Stanford University, Class of 2001 * Apache <http://www.apache.org/> *