httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: (new/old) idea of resolving
Date Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:08:42 GMT

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> Why?  DNS is not a transient thing.

Though some idiots^H^H^H^Hclever people are starting to do things like
using quick DNS updates to for example assign very short lived reverse
mappings to constantly changing dhcp or ppp addresses.

Dynamic DNS Update is a mixed blessing.

I.e. while a customer is on line, or while a machine has been dhcp-ed in,
its reverse address it is nicely called 'customername.we.trust.you.com' or
somthing like that. After log-off the mapping is removed.

I've had two US customers who wanted me to implement this for them, tied
in with security and xs control based on the short lived fqhn.

And looking at the next windows release, that is what some security seems
to start rely on. Going be nice to see the battle over which IT staff gets
to run the authoritative DNS servers; as for some things you might really
want to keep it close/on your NT domain controller.

So there is some argument for resolving relatively quickly; though of
course some DNS implementations their caches are hopelessly broken when
the TTL < 15 minutes. So it cannot be that quick. Yet.

Dw.