httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Strawman XML
Date Sat, 04 Sep 1999 19:47:46 GMT

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, sehh of H.I.C. & D.B.S. wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:17:44 +0200 (CEST), Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>
> >I'd like to hear some noice from people writing configurators, just to see
> >where they are heading.. and from people thinking of improving the doc's,
> >having multiple language variants, etc.
>
> I am the author of ServerConfig/2, GUI config util for OS/2. What i
> was looking for, was a 'version' of the Apache documentation which
> could be compiled under the OS/2 help file format. Which ofcourse i
> did my converting HTML into that format (.IPF). Although its not a
> perfect copy of the HTML code, it gives me the base to modify it any
> way i want.

Did you ever open source this ? Or is it easy to read in an ascii-like
format to see what you have done without installing OS/2.

> XML is a good choice, but you have to consider that the Apache
> documentation must also exist online in Apache's website, and HTML is
> a more suitable format since it can be browsed by older browsers.

Well in general, I've found it trivial (using for example IBM's lotusxsl
tool) to generate HTML from the XML using an XSLT stylesheet. Which I am
using also for some of the UI experiments. PDF is easy from there.

Did you have a look at the file I sendt in the previous msg ? Would that
be enough for your OS/2 docs and for your OS/2 configurator to be driven
from it, or would you need more ?

Dw