httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: 'Range: bytes=' request with starting byte greater than size of f ile
Date Thu, 09 Sep 1999 07:38:20 GMT
Life is hard, and then you die. wrote:

> One day, Greg Stein wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to see Apache fully support byte-ranges. I do need to add
> > byte-range support to mod_dav in its PUT handler. While at the O'Reilly
> > conference, I found that I'm actually "not in spec" because I ignore
> > Content-* headers (you're supposed to fail a request if you don't
> > recognize any Content-* header; specifically, I don't allow a PUT to a
> > Content-Range).
>
> Could you characterize "fully support" a little? Are you talking about
> header and multipart parsers?

Oh, picky, picky. :-)

All that I am truly concerned about is the Content-Range stuff so that
people can fetch byte ranges of resources. I'm not sure what other stuff
is handled by Content-* headers, so I'm not worried about those things
:-).

I'll be updating the mod_dav PUT handling so that it can deal with
Content-Range also.

Oh, heck. There are two range thingies. Content-Range: and Range:.
Well... I've got some studying to do :-). In any case, what I'm asking
for is that the Apache core supports byte ranges on GET, and I'll bash
away on the PUT case. This will be very nice for DAV clients, as they
could then operate on reading/writing portions of resources rather than
the whole bloody thing.

thx!
-g

--