httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Proposal: new CVS module for httpd docs
Date Wed, 08 Sep 1999 13:57:42 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> This all sounds good, but how do people get access to the sandbox?  By
> submitting patches the usual way, I'm assuming.  Which are reviewed the
> usual way, and committed when people get around to it.

No, I would expect that someone would submit a patch, and if
it looked reasonable, they'd be given access to the sandbox
and told to apply it themselves.  Maybe a couple of quality patches
would need to build up first, or maybe just their desire to
Do Good once would be enough.

>             Also, with giving people access to the sandbox but not the
> development repository, we create the situation where people are
> back-porting somebody else's changes.  I would much rather see the person
> who origianally made the change move it from the sandbox to the
> development tree.

If their patches are good enough (and plentiful enough for
an adequate feel-good quotient), they're well on the way to
being able to get access to the development tree.  Otherwise
it's no different than what we have now.

> At least now, when somebody commits another person's patch, it is always a
> complete patch, and it is usually easy to apply it.  I am afraid that the
> sandbox could REALLY diverge from the development tree

That's the whole point of the sandbox: it doesn't *have* to
follow any rules resembling those applicable to the development
tree.  Its purpose is experimentation and blue-skying.  I
anticipate stuff going into the sandbox would be doing so
to test or prove a concept, not to try it out before
committing it to the development tree.  That last is
why people check out the development tree and develop stuff
in their own working directories.

I don't think I'd be too perturbed to see a commit-list
of several dozen people on the sandbox.  (Likewise for a
separate doc module, only more so.)
--
#ken    P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://ASFD.MeepZor.Com/>