httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Butler <marc...@worldspice.net>
Subject Re: Out of space again.
Date Sat, 04 Sep 1999 16:59:40 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> F*(&% named dumping core, or at least some big debugging file.  Is there a
> way to tell it dump its load elsewhere, or not at all?  Perhaps in the
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named.sh script I could set resource limits?

 Is it dumping core, or is it dumping a datafile?  I couldn't say
exactly what bind is doing
without looking at the named.conf file.  Named will typically only dump
debugging information
if you start it with the '-d' flag.  It can also dump some caching
information, but that tends
to be rather small.

 Assuming that it is dumping a corefile, you should be able to add
'coresize 0M;' to the
"options" section of named.conf (of course, you could change '0M' to any
random size).

 Or, if that initscript uses bash as its interpreter, and the underlying
OS supports changing
resources limits dynamically (Linux and FreeBSD both do, for example)
you can add 'ulimit -c 0'
to the initscript.  This will prevent a core file from being written to
disk.  You can also
change the zero to some other number, which would specify a maximum size
for the corefile.

 Both of those methods only work if the underlying OS supports changing
resource limits.  If
your OS does not support changing these limits, you might have luck
setting 'datasize' (in
named.conf) to a relatively small value, like 20M or so.

	 Marcus