httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Building APR.
Date Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:55:06 GMT
On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 07:26:31PM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> Or alternatively (what I appreciate)
> keep the generated files in CVS and all are happy.

If this is done, it is inevitable that configure will go out-of-date.
Then, the new developers will get more confused. This is an actual
phenomenon; it happened to me while trying to compile another
project's CVS tree.

As a temporary measure, until the whole tree is autoconfed, we can
just add an autoconf statement to the build process. When people
building the CVS tree see "command not found: autoconf", they will
know what to do.

Once the whole tree is autoconfed, we can do what mutt does: add a
"prepare" script to the root of the source tree that acts like a
drop-in replacement for configure except that it executes autoconf, et
al. first.

"We can't protect the idiot." - David Vance of Glaxo Wellcome