httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Portability of APR.
Date Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:47:51 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> There has been a lot of talk recently about how portable APR is, because
> of the directory layout.  This all happened, because David Reid had to
> make a big patch to bring the BeOS stuff up to date.  Because of this, a
> lot of people have stated that they would rather see all of the code in
> one file.  I have been thinking about this all morning, and I am going
> to make a bold statement.  This will not make the APR code portable!
>
> This is just my 0.02, but moving the Windows code into the same file as
> the Unix code just makes it harder to read, and doesn't give us any
> benefit like being able to share code.

Just in any case there was any doubt, I tend to agree. It's very subjective
at which point it "makes sense" to fill up a single file with
lots of #ifdefs instead of making it separate files. Over the weekend
I looked at the BeOS stuff and I think that trying to merge that in
with the UNIX stuff would have resulted in an ugly mess. IMO portability
implies readability and "understandability" and if the source is
ugly, the result is code that's not easy to port.

                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"