httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/time/beos access.c
Date Sat, 11 Sep 1999 16:14:10 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> rbb@hyperreal.org wrote:
> >
> >   More changes to bring BeOS up to the UNIX APR level.  Also a few changes to
> >   some test programs to make them more portable.  Lastly, a work around for a
> >   BeOS bug that makes fork potentially dangerous.
> >   Submitted by:  David Reid
>
> I think this patch exemplifies some of the worry that myself (and a few
> others? Jim?) shared at the start of this project. Namely, that APR is
> sliced rigidly along OS lines, rather than "standard + platform-specific
> tweaks" lines. As a result, this creates a multiple-path maintenance
> nightmare.

Yeah, I agree that it's a concern, but on the other hand, I really
don't see anyway around it really. The 2 opposite ends of the
spectrum are either "one file" with loads of #ifdefs, or else
"one file" for each platform. All large, portable, multi-OS
applications use a mix of the 2, depending on the similarities
of the platforms being handled.

The real trick, IMO, is that APR present a common interface to
all platforms, no matter what tricks are used behind the scenes
to implement them.

It is worth noting, however, that the more rigidly we do make
that slice along OS lines, the less helpful an autoconf-like
system is.
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"