httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_asis.c mod_autoindex.c mod_log_config.c mod_negotiation.c
Date Sat, 11 Sep 1999 02:46:34 GMT
On 8 Sep 1999 14:16:11 -0000, rbb@hyperreal.org wrote:

>rbb         99/09/08 07:16:09
>
>  Modified:    src/include ap_config.h ap_listen.h http_log.h
>                        http_protocol.h httpd.h util_md5.h
>               src/main http_config.c http_core.c http_log.c
>                        http_protocol.c listen.c rfc1413.c util.c
>                        util_md5.c util_script.c
>               src/modules/mpm/mpmt_pthread acceptlock.c mpmt_pthread.c
>               src/modules/mpm/prefork Makefile.tmpl prefork.c
>               src/modules/standard mod_asis.c mod_autoindex.c
>                        mod_log_config.c mod_negotiation.c
>  Log:
>  Remove all of the calls to functions like "ap_popenf".  These functions were
>  moved down to APR, but they are being removed.  They are not portable, and
>  were only moved down for backwards compatability.  With this change, they can
>  be safely removed, which is the next commit on it's way.
>  Submitted by:  Ryan Bloom and Paul Reder

IMO ap_{get,put}_os_file() should not be allowed in non-platform specific
code. In fact I think we'd be better off if they didn't exist. If you can't
do what you need to do without resorting to using the OS handle directly then
you need to add an APR function to do the job, not hack into the guts of the
apr_file_t from the application.