httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_asis.c mod_autoindex.c mod_log_config.c mod_negotiation.c
Date Sat, 11 Sep 1999 03:32:20 GMT
On Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 12:46:34PM +1000, Brian Havard wrote:
> IMO ap_{get,put}_os_file() should not be allowed in non-platform specific
> code. In fact I think we'd be better off if they didn't exist. If you can't
> do what you need to do without resorting to using the OS handle directly then
> you need to add an APR function to do the job, not hack into the guts of the
> apr_file_t from the application.

Two points of disagreement.

1. The world is not an APRed world. At some point, Apache code has to
be able to interact with third-party code that doesn't use APR. To do
this, we have to have routines to convert back-and-forth

2. The MPMs are examples of this. The MPMs will have platform-specific
code. The really cool ones will probably have really cool
platform-specific code. This code will have to interact with an APRed
core. So conversion between APR and native types will be necessary.

"Violence is the first refuge of the violent." - Aaron Allston