httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Life is hard, and then you die." <ron...@innovation.ch>
Subject Re: 'Range: bytes=' request with starting byte greater than size of f ile
Date Fri, 10 Sep 1999 05:16:23 GMT

One day, Greg Stein wrote:

> Oh, heck. There are two range thingies. Content-Range: and Range:.
> Well... I've got some studying to do :-). In any case, what I'm asking
> for is that the Apache core supports byte ranges on GET, and I'll bash
> away on the PUT case. This will be very nice for DAV clients, as they
> could then operate on reading/writing portions of resources rather than
> the whole bloody thing.

Apache already supports byte ranges on GET, as long as the resource
resolves to a file. For other things trying to support it in the core
becomes tricky at best. You'd have to invoke the handler and intercept
the output, possibly buffering it (think
"bytes=15000-20000,0-20,17000-23000" - well, ok, the ordering
constraint for the output is only a SHOULD so we could reorder the
ranges to be strictly increasing and merge overlapping ranges, and we'd
still be conditionally compliant).

Streams would make this easier, btw...

  Cheers,

  Ronald