httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: STANDARD20_MODULE_STUFF
Date Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:45:35 GMT
>> By more general solution, I meant something that wasn't tied to a specific
>> version of the server. I'd hate to have to explain that change within
>> a book on module programming.  We should implement something that can
>> anticipate the next time we need to force a compile error.
>
>I'm with Dean on this one: anticipating all the compile errors you may
>want to force is a) hopeless, and b) a waste of time.

You don't have to anticipate what you want to force -- just that we
will want to do the same in the future, and including the version
number of the release in the symbol name is the wrong way to do it.
If we have a generation number, then you can write in your book
that "the differences between generation 2 and generation 3 are ..."
rather than using a different symbol name in every example.

....Roy