httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Maintaining status tables across restart
Date Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:30:55 GMT
On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 03:53:50PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Why not just have a status field that indicates the child's generation?
> In other words, why does the scoreboard have to change across generations
> if it is shared memory and a graceful restart?

This is possible, but then, we have to create an arbitrary limit on
the "length" of a row, i.e. how much space any row can take up in the
shared memory table. Since rows can actually change size between
restarts, the last thing we want to worry about is shared memory
fragmentation, so we have to align the rows on these boundaries.

Is this an acceptable limitation? It's not *too* bad; the worst it can
mean is that we tell users to recompile with a higher
HARD_ROW_LENGTH_LIMIT.

"Yes, I know a nose is not a butt." -- Darrell Fuhriman