httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Jones <JON...@er6s1.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Subject Re: Maintaining status tables across restart
Date Fri, 03 Sep 1999 18:09:09 GMT
In message <199909021617.aa27075@gremlin-relay.ics.uci.edu>,
  "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU> writes:
>I think that is the way to go -- add a single extended status pointer
>that points to a shared memory data structure (one per child).  Start
>with a simple structure (like a linked list of field-value pairs) and
>only access it through ADT functions.  We can optimize it later.  I think
>this would be a safer path than trying to store a sparse dynamic table
>inside the scoreboard.

For maximum portability, you don't want to have shared data structures
containing address pointers - all processes don't necessarily map the memory
to the same virtual address.

David L. Jones               |      Phone:    (614) 292-6929
Ohio State University        |      Internet:
140 W. 19th St. Rm. 231a     |               jonesd@er6s1.eng.ohio-state.edu
Columbus, OH 43210           |               vman+@osu.edu