httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2000, err Apache 2.0 gets real
Date Sun, 01 Aug 1999 15:12:24 GMT
> And how do you this way allow a complex module to run their own Autoconf
> checks outside the source tree, Rasmus? And how do those modules build
> theirself with libtool? By providing each one their own ltconfig ltmain.sh
> files? That's not very user friendly to third party authors and full of
> redundancy. You need a wrapper which provides a module with the _SAME_
> environment inside and outside, I think. Else we again have to deal with the
> various differences and this already showed to become nasty.

I really don't think it is useful to build something trivial like
mod_autoindex outside the tree.  Why would anybody do this?  And any
non-trivial module is likely to already have an autoconf setup.  I
certainly wouldn't use any Apache-provided wrapper functionality in PHP.
I am perfectly happy asking apxs to build things correctly.  Same goes for
mod_perl and mod_dav.

But even if we needed this functionality, why couldn't we just do it by
optionally generating a minimal configure script that sticks in the common
macros and then adds on the contents of the module-specific config.m4
script?  This configure.in script would be set up to call apxs and as such
it would be possible for people to distrbute a mod_autoindex.tar.gz
tarball that could be untarred and built using:

  ./configure --with-apxs; make; make install

Perhaps this is what you meant by a wrapper.  But to me this is just
another autoconf-generated bit of magic.

-Rasmus